J-1 VISA GUIDELINES. 2. Form DS-2019: Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status (visa application form). Provided by the Getty.

J-1 VISA GUIDELINES Please note that since each worldwide United States embassy may operate differently from another, the following information should serve only as a guideline and could be subject to
of 5
All materials on our website are shared by users. If you have any questions about copyright issues, please report us to resolve them. We are always happy to assist you.
Similar Documents
J-1 VISA GUIDELINES Please note that since each worldwide United States embassy may operate differently from another, the following information should serve only as a guideline and could be subject to change. For more detailed information, please contact the United States embassy to which you plan to apply. As a Getty Residential Grant recipient, you will be participating in an educational and cultural exchange program sponsored by the J. Paul Getty Trust. To enter the U.S. on a J-1 visa, you will need to apply using form DS-2019, which will be provided to you by the Getty's Office of Scholars, Interns, and Professionals (OSIP). Form DS-2019 is a Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status and lists the dates of your research residency in Los Angeles. The form allows you to enter the U.S. up to 30 days before the designated start date and remain for up to 30 days following completion of the program (to attend to personal matters and travel in the United States). HOW TO APPLY Applicants for J visas usually apply at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate with jurisdiction over their place of permanent residence. Please be aware that based on past experience, it may be more difficult to qualify for the visa if you apply outside of your country of permanent residence. Since visa applications are subject to a greater amount of scrutiny than in the past, we encourage you to apply as soon as you have obtained all of the necessary documents from OSIP. Please contact the U.S. Consulate with jurisdiction over your place of residence for instructions on submitting the visa application, and to see if an interview with a consular officer is needed. (Canadian citizens may also apply at a U.S. port of entry such as an airport, or, if driving, at a border crossing). Locations are available online at: You may be asked to submit some or all of the following: 1. The DS-160, Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application. Not all U.S. embassies and consulates may be required to use the form. Information on form DS-160 is available at: 2. Form DS-2019: Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status (visa application form). Provided by the Getty. 3. Form I-797C, Notice of Action: confirms that the $180 SEVIS processing fee has been paid by the Getty on your behalf. Provided by the Getty. 4. Passport: valid for travel to the United States with a validity date at least six months beyond your intended period of stay in the United States and at least one blank page. Last Updated 5/12/2011 1 5. One photograph: 2 inches square (50x50mm) showing your full face, without your head being covered, against a light background. 6. Evidence that shows you: (a) have sufficient funds to cover all expenses while in the U.S., (b) have binding ties to a residence in a foreign country that you have no intention of abandoning and (c) are coming to the U.S. for a temporary period. 7. Form DS-156: Nonimmigrant Visa Application form (completed & signed). According to some consular or embassy posts, this form must be completed online, while some have already replaced it with form DS-160 previously described. 8. Form DS-157: Supplement to Nonimmigrant Visa Application DS-157 (completed & signed). 9. DS-158: Contact Information and Work History for Nonimmigrant Visa Applicant (completed & signed). 10. Application fee: Some embassies may require a fee payment in the form of cash. The Getty does not reimburse for this fee. 11. Visa Issuance fee: You may be subject to an additional fee, called a reciprocity fee, based on your country of citizenship. The Consulate will inform you if you are required to pay the fee at the time of visa issuance. The Getty does not reimburse for this fee. Forms are available at all U.S. consular offices, and online: DS-156, -157, 158 and -160: To assist in demonstrating that you will have sufficient funds while in the U.S. and have binding ties to your country, consider bringing: A copy of your agreement letter(s) from the Getty - One Letter: Graduate Interns and Library Grant Recipients - Two Letters: Scholars and Fellows A printout of the information and Overview page of your corresponding Program (Accessible from the OSIP home page: A letter from your employer confirming that your temporary absence has been approved, and that you will return to your post following your activities here. Your return airline ticket (if it has been purchased). HEALTH INSURANCE REQUIREMENTS It is mandatory for J-1 and J-2 visa holders to have health insurance during their entire residency in the United States. There are specific guidelines set by the U.S. Department of Last Updated 5/12/2011 2 State that must be met. Failure to do so will result in termination from the program and departure from the U.S. It is important to understand that the J-1 visa holder must pay for the required health insurance, or he or she has to make sure that its is paid for, as the Getty does not cover this cost for all visitors. For mandatory health insurance requirements, as well as an important form which must be filled out and submitted to an OSIP staff member by J visa holders, please visit this page. SPOUSES & CHILDREN Each dependent (spouse and/or child under the age of 21) that will accompany you in the U.S. for the duration of your stay will require his/her own DS-2019 and J-2 visa. If a dependent s stay is going to be short-term (i.e. a brief vacation), he or she may enter the U.S. using a business or visitor visa, or, if they qualify, travel visa, free under the Visa Waiver Program. Travelers from all Visa Waiver Program countries are required to obtain approval through the Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA) prior to traveling to the United States. A machine-readable passport valid for six months past their expected stay in the U.S. is required to participate in the Visa Waiver Program. When applying for a J-2 visa, each family member will need to present his/her own DS- 2019, the original and a copy of either a marriage or birth certificate demonstrating the family relationship and a copy of your DS-2019 (and J-1 visa and Form I-94 Arrival/Departure Record, if you have already entered the U.S.). We will also provide you with a letter to confirm the names of those family members who will apply for J-2 visas in connection with your J-1 visa, which they can present with their DS If dependents on a J-2 visa choose to arrive separately, they may not enter the U.S. in advance of your arrival. It is also suggested that if the dependent is arriving separately, they bring copies of the J-1 visa holder's visa, DS-2019, agreement letter and passport information page. If you are planning to arrive in the U.S. with a newborn child, please wait to apply for a J-1 visa until the birth of the child. We will complete the application (form DS-2019) and send it to you via express mail once we receive the following information about the child: Full legal name as it will appear on his/her passport Date of birth The city and country where child was born Country of citizenship Country of legal permanent residence Last Updated 5/12/2011 3 Please proceed with the application process once you receive the form. Partners & Fiancé(e)s: because U.S. visa law does not recognize common-law relationships, partners & fiancé(e)s are not eligible to apply for J-2 visas and will need to qualify for visas in their own right. UPON ARRIVAL TO THE UNITED STATES It is critical that you bring your DS-2019 form with you in your passport (you may fold it) and that the Immigration Officer at the airport or U.S. border, date stamps it and handwrites D/S (duration of status) J-1 or J-2 in the center of the stamp. You should receive an I-94 form (usually handed out during your flight or before going through Immigration) and you must fill it out. Hand this form to the Immigration Officer with your passport and DS The Immigration Officer should date stamp the form and handwrite D/S (duration of status) J-1 or J-2 in the center of the stamp. A small portion of the form will be stapled into your passport. If you pass through Immigration and do not have these two documents date stamped notated with the entry status (J-1 or J-2) and duration of status (D/S) please kindly notify an Immigration Officer before leaving the airport or U.S. border. When entering the U.S., Customs may ask to see your grant letter, so please make sure to bring it along. FOLLOWING ENTRY TO THE UNITED STATES Within 5 days of your arrival at the Getty, but within 30 days of your arrival in the U.S., you must check in with the Office of Scholars, Interns, and Professionals (OSIP) so that your participation in the program can be confirmed. Failure to report in a timely manner will jeopardize your ability to participate in the exchange program and may result in the cancellation of your visa and possible future inadmissibility to the U.S. At all times while in the United States, you should carry with you your U.S. visa approvals, valid passport, and Form I-94. The I-94 Record of Arrival-Departure is your evidence of permission to be in the United States. If you change your address at any time during your stay in the U.S., you are required to report the new address to both the Office of Scholars, Interns, and Professionals (OSIP) and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) within 10 days. Failure to report a change of address within 10 days will jeopardize your ability to continue to participate in the exchange program and may result in the cancellation of your visa and possible future inadmissibility to the U.S. DHS requires that you report your new address by filing for AR- 11. Form AR-11 may be downloaded from the DHS s Bureau of Citizenship & Immigration Website. toid=c1a94154d7b3d010vgnvcm f3d6a1rcrd&vgnextchannel=db029c7755cb9010v gnvcm f3d6a1rcrd Last Updated 5/12/2011 4 TRAVELING OUTSIDE THE U.S. DURING YOUR STAY You may travel outside the U.S. during your stay, provided you: return to the U.S. to continue your Getty residency before the expiration date shown on your J-1 visa. Failure to do so may result in refusal of re-entry into the U.S. inform our Office of Scholars, Interns, and Professionals (OSIP) in advance with the dates and destination of your trip. We may need to sign/update or issue you a new DS-2019 and we will prepare a travel letter for you. carry the travel letter, your passport, and copies of your J visa and DS-2019 form with you. Please remember that it is your responsibility to make certain that the new I-94 you will be issued at the U.S. custom when you return from your trip is valid throughout your stay in the U.S. As you are the only recipient of this form, we will not have knowledge of the new dates of stay granted to you and/or to your family members. Please note: the Department of State Exchange Visitor Programs is available for inquiries on J visas at: Last Updated 5/12/2011 5
Related Search
We Need Your Support
Thank you for visiting our website and your interest in our free products and services. We are nonprofit website to share and download documents. To the running of this website, we need your help to support us.

Thanks to everyone for your continued support.

No, Thanks

We need your sign to support Project to invent "SMART AND CONTROLLABLE REFLECTIVE BALLOONS" to cover the Sun and Save Our Earth.

More details...

Sign Now!

We are very appreciated for your Prompt Action!